Thursday, October 18, 2012

Narwhal Season

It appears by the traffic in my etsy store that narwhal season has begun in earnest. If you haven't noticed, narwhals occupy their own section in my store. I did this to accommodate their unrestrained popularity.
You didn't ask for the backstory, but here it is anyway....
The first narwhal was sculpted in 2010 as a joke based on a misunderstanding of a song lyric from the movie "the last unicorn". I won't get into it, but let's just say that 80s kids movies are totally inappropriate for children.
Anyway, I made one for a friend, and one for my store. The first one sold in less than 4 hours from listing. So I made some more, and more and more.
Christmas 2011, I thought there was no way narwhals could be more popular. I was wrong.
My narwhals were featured first here, then here, then here.
It got to the point where I was running a one woman sweatshop in my basement. Churning out pod after pod of narwhals. 
Ok people, we are approaching holiday season 2012. I cannot understand why, but narwhal sales are trending up again. Yes, they are cute. Yes narwhals are awesome, but unless you also misunderstood what America was singing to an animated Mia Farrow, you cannot possibly be in on the joke. For what purpose are you buying them?
Here's the deal. I'll keep making them if you keep buying them. If you buy one, PLEASE tell me why. I'm dying to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment