Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Soup

There's nothing like handling a complete, raw chicken to make you feel like an evil serial (chicken) killer. Sometimes these unpleasant things must be dealt with, because there is nothing better than home made chicken and rice soup.
When the temperature drops, I have an unspeakable urge to boil an entire chicken to make soup. It's an innate and unstoppable force. An entire chicken must be used, there is no subsititute.
I really went with the past of least resistance, using only what can be bought at trader Joes. Into my big soup pot went: an entire chicken (giblets too!), some pre-chopped onions, carrots and celery (don't judge me), 2 garlic cloves, a bag of wild rice medley, bay leaves, and generous amounts of lemon pepper. 
I skinned the chicken before hand as there is nothing grosser than boiled skin. No one wants that in their soup. I boiled the chicken alone until I was able to pull the meat off the bone. Then I cooked the rice in the stock, added the chicken and chopped bits as well as the garlic. I let the entire thing simmer until we were hungry.
It really hit the spot. Also, I have about a gallon left over. Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment