Thursday, November 8, 2012

Review! Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros- Up From Below

I'm not cool enough to be up on new bands or new music. I consume most of my music through Songza. This allows me to stay on my very specific music island, where new things rarely wash up on shore. The result of which is that sometimes I think something is new, when in fact it is years old
Such is the story of Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros and myself. Their song "Home" was a frequent favorite on several of my regular Songza playlists. I was embarrassed to find that the song was from their 2009 release "Up from Below". So I got with it and ordered it.  Yes. Order. I still love getting CDs. I love cover art. Don't judge.
Anyway. I LOVE Home. It's a great song with some campy/theatrical sing/talking and a rousing chorus that anyone can get into. Unfortunately those aspects don't get repeated to the same levels in other songs. Don't get me wrong, it's a very listenable album, but I was a little disappointed that the other songs didn't inspire me to sing along.
Oh well. I still recommend it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment