Monday, June 6, 2016

New Paints!

I treated myself to some new oil paints! I was poking around the Dick Blick website and saw that Maimeri makes reproductions of Renaissance era colors. I've always loved me some classical paintings, so I ordered my best guess at skull colors. Ceruse is the white used to paint courtly ladies faces, mummy is a brown originally made from actual mummies, and bistre is a black made from burned wood.
Bistre is hands down my favorite paint ever. In college, my painting professor told us to never use black oil paint because it isn't really black. Any black oil paint that I've ever used is really super dark navy. That's fine, I guess, if you just want black. If you want to make grey, you are out of luck. Hope you like blue. Bistre is the first paint EVER that is completely neutral. This paint will change my life. I am so happy. 
Mummy is a nice brown, perfect for skulls.
Ceruse is a nice off-white, but lacks the opacity that I like best in a white. I think it will be worth using with some practice. 
Painting is something that I do just for myself. I like to keep my brain sharp by learning different skills. I know that skulls might not be for everyone, but it's what I like painting (and I think they always look awesome no matter how they turn out). Thanks for indulging me!

No comments:

Post a Comment